Engine condition monitoring diagnostic tester project

Clive Apps Techno-Logicals 416 510 0020 clive at problem.tantech.com
Thu May 28 14:02:49 GMT 1998

> I read in my favorite magazine ( Cars and Car Conversions ) that the
> TOCA Renault team log the crank case pressure as well as all the other
> odds and ends that the likes of us mortals would think to log...
> apperently they have collated data which indicates that crank case
> pressure tells you more about the state of the engine in conjuction with
> the other readings than just by the readings alone.  If the engine is
> about to let go and do something spectacular the CC pressures go wild...
>  Obviously they were not much more specific, but its something to bare
> in mind

detonation in a cylinder will raise the pressure in the case
the rings don't seal well when they are rattling around
this could be another possibitily given enough time to develop

> >Thanks to all that replied to my original posting -- I have found a
> >transducer used for engine oil pressure that may have enough capacity to go
> >to the  14 bar FSD  or so that I need.
> >
> >> I am building an compression tester/Leak down tester to interface to a
> >> PC and log the compression curve and leak down curve to enable piston
> >> and vavle condition to be monitored and compared.  Anybody got any ideas
> >> on suitable low cost pressure sensors.

if you got a large enough motor you can use this to calcualte your VE numbers
you would have to spin your engine using another motor and also have a temp
sensor in the cyl to calculate the thermal expansion

Clive