ION-related IGN Comments & Coil Quest

steve ravet steve at sun4c409.imes.com
Thu May 28 17:00:12 GMT 1998

kenkelly at lucent.com wrote:

> garfield at pilgrimhouse.com wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 27 May 1998 20:25:43 -0400, "Bruce Plecan" <nacelp at bright.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >All the General Motors Distributorless Coils are four terminal.
>
> GM HEI coils are also four terminal, so we can probably say
> that all GM coils since 1975 are transformers, not
> autotransformers. The HEI coils have all four terminals
> already in place, of course it implies using the HEI
> distributer for easy mounting.
>
>                 Ken

How about a five terminal coil?  I just looked at my motor (from a '91 Caprice, TBI 350), and it has the small cap HEI w/external coil.  The coil has 4 regular wires (two white, one pink, one large
gauge pink) on two weatherpak plugs, plus the high tension lead to the distributor.  What's up with that?

As far as coil-per-plug, I had compiled a list of them at one time on the EFI reference document I was maintaining.  You can find a copy of it on the vettenet, http://www.vettenet.org/efi_ref.txt

--steve

--
Steve Ravet