ION-related IGN Comments & Coil Quest

steve ravet steve at sun4c409.imes.com
Thu May 28 21:39:57 GMT 1998

garfield at pilgrimhouse.com wrote:

> On Thu, 28 May 1998 12:03:12 -0500, steve ravet
> <steve at sun4c409.imes.com> wrote:
>
> >How about a five terminal coil?  I just looked at my motor (from a '91 Caprice, TBI 350), and it has the
> small cap HEI w/external coil.  The coil has 4 regular wires (two white,
> one pink, one large
> >gauge pink) on two weatherpak plugs, plus the high tension lead to the distributor.  What's up with that?
>
> I dunno, but I'm SURE gonna look into it. Yeah, thanks to the other
> bloak who also mentioned the HEI internal coils, cuz that got me
> wondering JUST the very same thing you're now bringing up, namely, "hmm,
> what about the EXTERNAL HEI coils, then".

I've got the Chevy service manual, I'll have a look at it tonight.
Should have done that after I looked at the coil...

> >As far as coil-per-plug, I had compiled a list of them at one time on the EFI reference
> document I was maintaining.  You can find a copy of it on the vettenet,
> http://www.vettenet.org/efi_ref.txt
>
> I have a copy of that choice lil morsel saved in my private stash, thank
> you, but I don't find any DI coil list in there anywhere. Could you hum
> a few more bars?

Hmmm....Well, it appears that that's a very old version of my list.  The
current version is on a backup tape that I've been trying to read for a
year and a half (4mm DAT, not too common on PCs).  I posted it
periodically to the list, so if you search the archives you'll probably
come up with it.  actually, search the efi-332 archives as I posted it
to both lists and the 332 archive is much smaller.  I'll fix up that
list if I can someone to read that tape for me.

--steve

--
Steve Ravet
International Meta Systems