Transformers

kenkelly at lucent.com kenkelly at lucent.com
Thu May 28 20:27:49 GMT 1998

Bruce,
	When you talk about a points ignition you use the coil in a
different mode than a CDI. In the points ignition you
saturate the coil core magnetically. When the points open
the field collapses and generates the spark. In the CDI
ignition you apply a short ~300 Volt pulse to the coil and
use it as a stepup transformer to create the spark pulse.

		Ken