ION EGOR

garfield at pilgrimhouse.com garfield at pilgrimhouse.com
Fri May 29 02:50:50 GMT 1998

On Fri, 29 May 1998 11:59:45 +1000, Wayne Blair <wayneb at foxboro.com.au>
wrote:

>At the risk (certainity) of appearing as a drongo would it be possible
>to getta summary of the intent and direction etc of these things called

Hmm, is that Oz speak for a what? "Drongo"? Yous guys have the greatest
expressions.

>ION and EGOR.
>
>I've been trying to follow over the past months but WOW some of it is really
>bleeding edge stuff. Just a general summary description is all I'm after.
>I feels a bit like not being able to see the forest for the trees.
>I expect I'm missing some background.
>Maybe some one has got the time.

It doesn't take much time.

EGOR is the 5-wire EGO sensor project, for getting the electronics to
run a Honda/NTK EGO sensor, that can actually be used to MEASURE A/F
mixture within say plus-minus 0.1 AFR. Useful for AFR meters, or use in
an engine management scheme where you wanna control AFR precisely, even
at WOT.

ION is the project for getting electronics to be able to detect misfire
and knock using the new "ionization current" detection scheme that Saab
has pioneered this decade, which uses the spark plug as a sensor to
measure the residual ionization current after the spark has fired.
Absence of this ionization current, or it's presence outside proper time
windows, or abnormal current, is used to detect preignition, misfire,
and knock. Not subject to the usual vagaries that piezo/acoustic knock
sensors are plagued by, especially a high rpms or noisy environments,
like racing or aircraft engine apps.

See, that only took a second.

Gar