Coatings

Robert Humphris r.humphris at indigo-avs.com
Fri May 29 11:08:21 GMT 1998

>I had some problems applying CBC to my pistons.  Seems the
>air pressure wasn't high enough in the airbrush and the
>coating ended up too thick.  It bubbled and looked cracked,
>so I'm going to sandblast it back off and try again.  DFL on
>the sides looks great, though.
That sounds the best bet, mine is not cracked, just thick... I eneded up
with the wire brush on my dremmel to polish the surface up instead of
the 0000 grade wire, looks like a yellowed/blue chrome finish... and the
inlet manifold just looks a little space aged.

>What coating(s) did you use and how are you applying it
>(them)?

CBC2 on the head and the valves ( the valves were not effected by a
magnet so they occured to me as being nonferrous ) CBC2 on the piston
crowns, and DFL-1 on the skirts, bearings etc etc.

I started using the airbrush to apply the DFL-1 but I could not stop it
from clogging ( Camcoat the UK distributors of Techline stuff, said that
the thinners based MFM or something does not have this problem ) so I
used a foam brush, to get a foam brush you need:
a) a wife/girlfriend/mother who uses those little foam triangles to
apply make up
b) the person corresponding to a) to be out.

Take a clean foam thingy and use that with the DFL, I used it on the
pistons, and it worked fine.
The first item that I did with DFL was the cam, and when I buffed it the
coating just powdered off! I carried on with the buffing, and found that
the thin layer under was very very hard, and looked free from any
imperfections.