ION Motorcycle coils revisited

Jerry Wills jwills at ISI.EDU
Fri May 29 23:24:44 GMT 1998

I've tried to keep up with all of this and for a 4 banger, one motorcycle
coil would provide enough spark, and a lead for ION to connect to.
Racing motorcycles can spin 15,000 RPM, some even more. Each coil fires
two cyclinders, so a 4 banger at 7500 RPM can be done with the same coil.
I'm willing to bet that the coil isn't the limiting factor on RPM.
Now for the V8  that wants to use 1 coil, thru a distributor. I'm not sure
what to do . I personal like separate coils or pairs of them and IONs
circuit is so simple that having multiple copies, isn't a big deal. Don't
all of you want a few copies anyway, just to cover possible electrical,
or mechanical accidents.

I saw references that ION could sense across the gap in distributors,but
I'm still having a hard time with that one. and if so your rotor better
be 50 crank degrees wide, or so.

As for PC boards themselves both ION & EGOR could be made a size to step and
repeat on a standard panel for cost effectiveness, also power and gnd could be
bussed across a card , so that multiple copies would have them connected
together already.

Sorry for the hacked English, Californian that is.

			Jerry Wills
I'll have enough POWER when I can spin the tires at the end of the straight!
89 FJ DERSLYR,           DoD#500 KotF(Flag)       Mark Donahue, about 917's
USC/Information Sciences Institute  (USC/ISI)  SoCal (310) 822-1511 x 236
90's cowboys, ride iron horses, and punch Deer!!!
You done violated Physics, BOY!    Assume the position..... (Rider 5/92)