ION Motorcycle coils revisited

garfield at pilgrimhouse.com garfield at pilgrimhouse.com
Sat May 30 00:42:51 GMT 1998

On Fri, 29 May 1998 16:29:09 -0700 (PDT), Jerry Wills <jwills at ISI.EDU>
wrote:

>I saw references that ION could sense across the gap in distributors
>,but I'm still having a hard time with that one.

Nope, NO you didn't. Such a think was NEVER said. I said the patents
show this tech being used even on dizzyfied systems, BY the use of HV
diodes tied to the HV posts for each cylinder, which is AFTER the dizzy
gap. The point is it CAN be used even on distributed spark systems, but
don't jump to the conclusion that therefore I said you can violate a law
of nature, and sense a 1 microamp current across an airgap with a mere
80-400V, cuz NOBODY said that. N'est-ce pas? If in doubt, look at the
patents. A long list of patent numbers was posted only a couple weeks
ago.

>As for PC boards themselves both ION & EGOR could be made a size to step and
>repeat on a standard panel for cost effectiveness, also power and gnd could be
>bussed across a card , so that multiple copies would have them connected
>together already.

Of course they'll be step-and-repeat'd onto a panel! That's how ALL pc
boards, less than half a full panel size, are made commercially. Geez,
here we go again.

I'm beginning to think we're getting so many Vuja De's here, that we're
stuck on a broken record. This has gotta be at least the forth time this
has come up, always the same, always as if nuthing had been discussed
about this so far. SHEESH! OK once more with feeling, IF you do bus the
common stuff together, that's fine, but pray tell us what SIZE card we
should have the break lines routed for, so the panel can be broken down
and distributed to members of the group buy? Will everybody be forced to
buy a card capable of 8 IONs, and then SAW off the portion they don't
want?; is that how we should route the panel for breakout? You can't bus
significant power lines throught those breakable joints. Or do you
actually think someone would be crazy enough to offer to route or saw
apart a panel from a bunch of different orders from people, this one
wants 4, this one six, this one eight, this one twelve? We settled on a
standard module of 4 ION circuits, cuz then most any combo would make
efficient use of board space, and also keep the incremental cost
reasonable, and at the worst half of one of these dinky lil 40-pin DIP
sized boards might go unpopulated. If you have anything to offer in the
way of ideas that IMPROVES on that, then please say on. Otherwise, ...

Gar