Coils for ION ... still a bust somewhat

garfield at pilgrimhouse.com garfield at pilgrimhouse.com
Sat May 30 01:08:33 GMT 1998

On Fri, 29 May 1998 17:47:33 -0400, Clare Snyder <snyder at huron.net>
wrote:

>There are several different HEI coils. 1988 Caprice, GrandPrix and Monte
>4.3 uses separated windings in the coil. So does the 87 4.3.

I feel like a good howling session at the moon is in order. HOW are you
determining that these coils above do indeed HAVE separate windings? Are
you just going by the NUMBER of terminals, or are you looking at a
schematic that depicts the internal winding connections inside the coil?

Cuz I have now been twice to the GM dealer, and metered these bloody
coils TWICE now and they do NOT have separate windings. Between any pair
of connections, there is at most 10Kohms, meaning the primary and
secondaries are tied together. You CAN'T just go by counting the number
of terminals on the coil. That apparently means nuthing. Some are either
just an extra terminal for a tach connection, or actually diode
protected terminal for tach output. I looked at a Toyota coil today I
thot might do the job. It had 3 terminals besides the HV tower. But ALL
3 of those terminals and the HV post were all connected together
internally in some way! QED, the number of terminals means nuthin about
whether the primary and secondary are connected or not.

NOW, if your manual shows that these coils, by schematically drawing the
internals of the coil, have separate windings, I gotta see a copy of
that drawing!!! PLEASE.

But one thang is sure. I ain't gonna meter that coil, not even ONE more
time. Grumble. Whimper. Those HV diodes are lookin better by the second.

Anyone so far been able to come up with a twin-output (i.e. wasteFire)
coil that has decent primary connectors, instead of just spade terminal
slots in it's underbelly?

Gar