Coils for ION ... still a bust somewhat

garfield at pilgrimhouse.com garfield at pilgrimhouse.com
Sun May 31 04:12:15 GMT 1998

On Sat, 30 May 1998 20:09:35 -0700 (PDT), Orin Eman <orin at wolfenet.com>
wrote:

>Well, I can show you a schematic with absolutely no connection
>between the coil and the 'ignition booster' (big transistor)
>that fires it...  a later version had it right then another
>version had B+ going to the wrong side of the primary...
>bet that would have let the smoke out of the transistor in a hurry.
>
>Most auto schematics/wiring diagrams available are full of errors IMO.
>Trust the ohm meter on a new part over any schematic...

Yup, I verified today, after getting a copy of the schematic from Clare
(thanks!), that it was indeed BOGUS. They showed the other side of the
secondary grounded throught the frame/core of the transformer, a thang
that's NEVER done, when in fact that end of the secondary was tied
internally to the same terminal that the primary connects to for +BAT.

As I mentioned to Clare, since they weren't busy on a Sat. morn, I went
through ALL the diff. HEI external coils (they're all the same except
for minor diff. in connectors), and they ALL have the primary and
secondary commoned to the lead that goes to +BAT.

So like you say, the meter NEVER lies. I've gotten to the point where I
don't trust ANY book other than the mfg. and even those I've found wrong
from time to time. You just gotta watch your six and don't assume
anything.

Gar

P.S. One group member recommended I take a look at Harley coils, since
they were just about the only moto coil that wouldn't likely have any
supply problems in the future (thanks, Doc). I went over to the H-D
dealer full of hope, but metered their coils, and although they ARE
wasteFire coils and have separate windings, and nice threaded terminals,
the primarys were 5X the impedance of an automotive coil. Since we've
got enough variables in the mix already, I figured I'd pass on them for
now. They actually are about the same size physically as an automotive
coil anyway. Sigh. So the quest is STILL on.