Australian CDI kits READ THIS

garfield at pilgrimhouse.com garfield at pilgrimhouse.com
Sun May 31 18:15:24 GMT 1998

On Sun, 31 May 1998 03:17:34 GMT, db at vianet.net.au (Darryn Watson)
wrote:

>http://www.altronics.com.au/ads/index.htm
>and downloaded their June specials page (in PDF format)
>
>They have the multi spark CDI kit for only $49 !!!!!!!!!!!!!
>Its part number is K 4020

Thanks awfully for the link and the alert, BUUTTTT, are you absolutely
certain this is the same system that we've been discussing that was
originally published in Sept. '97 of SC?

Cuz, I just looked at the blurb on the special, it doesn't mention
multispark (it IS obviously CDI, since it says it operates primary at
300V), but THE most telling thing seems to be that it says "fixed spark
duration of 0.9ms" or 900us, whereas the design we've been discussing
keeps that down to "about 200us". It also quotes a lower "operating
voltage" of 4V.

These are enough discrepancies, along with THIS design purportedly
coming from the June '98 issue of SC, that I'd bet this is yet another
design. Not sayin there's anything wrong with it atoll, just that it
maybe shouldn't be equated to the other design.

This may be the latest design from SC (actually it says in the blurb
it's a combination of 3 earlier designs), where instead of the
complexity of multi-spark to solve the problem of short spark duration
working on leaner engines, instead they've created a new CDI system that
has a much LONGER single spark duration. Kinda like an attempt at the
best of both worlds.

That'd be me guess and just me dos centavos, amigos.

Gar