Coils for ION ... still a bust somewhat

H. J. Zivnak bztruck at email.msn.com
Sun May 31 18:42:18 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: garfield at pilgrimhouse.com <garfield at pilgrimhouse.com>
To: diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu <diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Saturday, May 30, 1998 9:51 PM
Subject: Re: Coils for ION ... still a bust somewhat

<snip>
>Yup, I verified today, after getting a copy of the schematic from Clare
>(thanks!), that it was indeed BOGUS. They showed the other side of the
>secondary grounded throught the frame/core of the transformer, a thang
>that's NEVER done, when in fact that end of the secondary was tied
>internally to the same terminal that the primary connects to for +BAT.

<nother snip>
> Sigh. So the quest is STILL on.

Hi Garfield!

Have a look at  http://mot-sps.com/automotive/ignition3.html .

Motorola is trying to sell Ignition Drivers and IGBTs but the schematic is
interesting in that it shows an isolated secondary coil on plug type coil.
Looks very familiar. If it included ion sense I'd know from where it came.

Don't know that this concept was used by anyone other than Saab, but it's
the first reference I've seen other than theirs.

I did check the schematic of Ford's COP ignition and the coils operate from
+12v (not the 400 refed in the Mot page) and are grounded (closed & opened
:3) ) by the EEC. The coils have a 2 pin connector.

Also checked the Delphi Automotive page for specs, and again the COP coils
are rated @ 12v. No indication if the secondary is isolated of not.

Maybe Mopar (or foreign other than Saab) has a 400v COP ignition with the
necessary isolated secondary.

In theory, theory and practice are the same..... In practice they are not!

Joe