TPS sensor compatibility???

Jake Sternberg chickens at ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
Tue Nov 3 04:59:13 GMT 1998

I'm trying to re-construct a 1991 GMC 2500 pickup with TBI.

The intake/TBI setup i bought for it (used) has the older
"lever type" TPS with the three-pins in a row connector,
same style as the MAP sensor connector (they look the same).

The harness i got from the dealer has the new-style (shaft
sticks into it) TPS with the three little pins in triangle
formation in a little round connector.

I looked through two service manuals (for vehicles with each
type of sensor) and wired on a connector for the kind of TPS
I have alongside the small connector.  the pins are ABC on
both connectors but the ref/signal/return pins were different.

I wired the new connector up properly as far as which signal
goes to which, but i need to know if the two sensors are
equivalent/compatible.  If the ECM is designed for the newer
style and i hook it up to the old style, will it work?
The old style has slotted screw holes for adjustment and
the new style TPS can't be adjusted.  Does anyone know?

thanks,
-jake
reply to: chickens at mail.utexas.edu