MAF

Barry E. King beking at home.com
Tue Nov 3 05:17:38 GMT 1998

I have an 83mm ProM airmeter in a 3.0L Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 (twin turbo).
It is supposedly calibrated for 1000 cfm.  I also have larger blowers (404
cfm @15 psi each) but drivability (primarily off boost of course) is not an
issue.  20 psi boost performance is astounding.  The stock MAS was much much
smaller and with the new one I am sure that other areas are now the
restriction.

I would think that if this 3.8 will ultimately see a turbo a larger MAF is
doable.  75mm-77mm is being done on 2.0L DSMs mind you they are running much
higher boost.

The trick is being able to tune for it.  I am using the TRE MASC for this
purpose http://www.teamrip.com.  Works great so far.  The MASC comes in two
flavors, just the computer (adjusts frequency of the input signal from the
factory MAS) or computer + ProM airmeter.  In the latter configuration it
converts the voltage from the ProM to a frequency the stock ECU can
understand and adjusts the frequency to affect mixture changes.

Regards,

Barry
Not affililated with TRE other than as a customer ;)