PIC Questions

Sandy sganz at wgn.net
Wed Nov 4 00:51:51 GMT 1998

The PIC is a very simple RISC processor that is good for lots of control type
of applications (lots of other things to). They are inexpensive, and the tools
are low cost. Lots of I/O depending on the model. Limitations in my mind are
memory and not having a traditional 'Bus'. The bad also makes them very good
for smaller projects. The HC11 is a more traditional CPU, lots of I/O easy to
add boat loads of memory, but has the added expense of having too! PIC's are
finding their way into everything, and seem like easy to gets started. The PIC
and HC11 boards are pretty plentyful, with a bit lower cost to the PIC. The
choice would have to be based on cost, size, and how much memory. Their are
lots of addon's for the PIC, but they sort of defeat the simpicity of it.
So my
choice would be base on can I do it with just the PIC by itself, if I have to
get a bunch of special addons' I would go with the HC11. Both have similar on
chip functionality, I think the HC11 has some more advanced subsystems
available, supports interrupts, can run a rtos, etc.

2 Cent...

Sandy