[Fwd: [M] [M} IC Thermodynamics]- Part 3

Tom Sharpe twsharpe at mtco.com
Wed Nov 4 02:33:08 GMT 1998

Joe Boucher wrote:

> I have some more design thoughts on the SVO/TC Intercooler

> I'm really not saying anything new here.  The TC/SVO IC is in a horrible
> place for cooling of an air to air unit.  No amount of ducting or fans can
>
> change the performance of the unit appreciably.  Please, no flames saying
> that
> everyone already know this.  I took on this project to do an Engineering
> evaluation of the stock TC intercooler versus a front mounted air to air
> versus a liquid to air.  I'm still working on the others.
>
> Obviuosly, an Air to Air unit MUST be placed where it can get good air
> flow.
>
> Obviously, the liquid to air rejection unit must be placed where it can
> get
> EVEN MORE air flow.
>
> More to come later.
>
> Don

Keeping the engine inlet air under 200 deg. under steady state conditions
with high boost requires a huge a/a intercooler and more air than you can
imagine... more than the radiator.  Using water and a heat sink in an a/w
intercooler reduces the size requirements as long as you don't need full
throttle for very long. If you can live with 200+ degrees air temp, engine
water can be used effectively, just double the radiator capacity. Just look
at an 18 wheeler with a 3406.

A more cost efficient use (cheap) is to cool the turbo with water/alcohol
injection into the turbo inlet. The turbo really atomizes the liquid,
causing it to evaporate rapidly, absorbing a lot of heat and volume, thus
reducing boost, which the turbo promptly replaces. This is very efficient
for street thrillers that don't need more than 10 seconds worth of WOT.

Net result is that if you need continuous boost, you need an air to water
intercooler. If not, you are just spinning your wheels (at least I hope so).

Regards  Tom