weird question I think

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Wed Nov 4 04:12:49 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Roger Heflin <rah at horizon.hit.net>
To: diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu <diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Tuesday, November 03, 1998 10:44 PM
Subject: Re: weird question I think

If your changing a relatively few items a emulator ain't a big deal.
However, if you redesigning something from the bottom up then it is.
Bruce

>> Jim wrote:
>> >Is there an inexpensive way to make a PC simulate a chip, say >>a prom
reader that passes through a PC on the way to the ECM. >>You load the rom
code into thePC, and the PC simulates a prom., >>that you could modify
parameters to see what Yea, look for >>something called a ROM emulator.  Its
a box with a cable
>> coming out one end which attaches to your ECU (or whatever).  >>You
download the ROM code image into this box and off you go!  >>But I'm not
sure how much time this will actually save, and they >>usually aren't too
cheap either.
>> Bill
>
>They would not save any time.  If you actually knew enough about the car to
make an accurate simluator of the entire engine, then you know enough to get
pretty close to it the first time.  The guy that burned my prom got it
pretty close in 4 tries.  Considering that I can
>replace the prom in  about 5 minutes and burn it in about 5 minutes, with
the car testing probably you could get it down to less than 30 minutes a
version.  That is with practice.