[Fwd: [M] [M} IC Thermodynamics]- Part 3

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Thu Nov 5 04:13:42 GMT 1998

>Propane is not an explosive???  Go back to elementary school young man.  Or,
>at least back to basic Jr.  High chemistry!  Propane IS an explosive.  My
>proof is the 4200 lb van sitting in my driveway that runs on the stuff.  If
>you are still not convinced, turn on the gas (propane) to your barbecue for a
>few seconds, lean over the grill, and light a match underneath it.  You should
>then be able to witness firsthand whether or not Propane is explosive.  That
>is of course if your mommy lets you play with matches.  As for the safety
>slobber remark - they make special helmets for people like you, (complete with
>face masks for that complete "I'm a moron" look), that cannot tie their
>shoelaces and trip on them constantly.

Many fuels can burn in an explosive manner under certain
conditions--methane, gasoline, propane, even diesel fuel. However, they are
definitely NOT explosives. By definition, an explosive is a chemical or a
mixture of chemicals which contains its own oxidizer. As in nitroglycerine,
or diesel fuel after it is mixed with ammonium nitrate prell. Ask Timmy
McVeigh! Explosives are generally categorized from fast to slow by their
rate of flame propogation--and most automotive fuel/air mixtures (including
propane/air) have far too slow a flame speed to be considered even a slow
explosive, until the p-t conditions get really radical (see detonation)!!
But these kind of p-t conditions do not and cannot occur in an engine's
inlet tract, even on a three stage turboed tractor pull diesel. There is at
least one other individual on list with far more professional explosives
expertise than my own---Chris??? Do you care to say anything here??

The first safety advice was a demonstration of out-house lawyering at its
worst, and would not have a prayer of holding anyone harmless, even from an
absolutely incompetent jerk of a trial lawyer.  The safety gibberish
comment was uncalled for. This last post is an absolute waste of bandwidth,
and insulting to all. Get a clue what you are talking about before you try
to use Hitler's "Big Lie" technique to win an argument!! There are people
here trying to exchange information in a friendly, sometimes humorous, but
nevertheless professional manner, and this kind of $%%^&* is nothing but a
hindrance to that effort! Let it go, or go away!

Grrrrreg