loud motor = happy motor?

Clarence L.Snyder clare.snyder.on.ca at ibm.net
Thu Nov 5 04:24:43 GMT 1998

PMDRACER at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 11/3/98 1:41:07 AM Pacific Standard Time,
> am018 at post.almac.co.uk writes:
>
> << As a general rule as taught to me by my grandfather who was setting
>  ignitions by ear at the start of this century an over advanced ignition
>  always sounds more powerful -- this could be partially explained (I think)
>  by the fact that it will pick up revs more quickly when reved out of gear.
>  On few cars I have come across (Lotus Elans which had only 20 crank
>  degrees of mechanical advance) retarded ignition has caused pinking ---- I
>  suspect due to hot spots forming from excess rejected heat.
>   >>
> Well, to be truthful, you will never see full advance curves on a motor revved
> out of gear. You simply cannot achieve any sort of vacuum to run the advance,

I have to jump in here.
You will NEVER see full advance on a LOADED engine at WOT, because under
load you have HIGH manifold pressure, which translates to low
vacuum.Under no load conditions, manifold pressure is low (high vacuum)
and advance is on full.
> so in reality, you are revving the motor with retarded timing. Ignition timing
> is a factor dictated by today's gasoline. You simply cannot run the amount of
> ignition advance today that you used to 10 to 20 years ago.
Again, I have to disagree. Under certain conditions you can run a WHOLE
LOT more advance than you used to, because todays engines can retard it
WHEN NECESSARY. This is, to a large degree, what allows today's engines
to be so much more efficient than the engines of yesteryear. Yes, the
octane has dropped, but today's engines are getting more power out of
unleaded regular than you used to get out of leaded super premium, like
Sunoco 260.
 The "more is
> better" rule also does not apply. You can easily go too far, and lose
> performance (and the motor, under extreme conditions). The idea of ignition
> timing is to start the ignited fuel's flame front early enough so that the
> largest explosive force occurs when the piston/rod combination is on it's way
> down on the combustion stroke.
Actually, you want peak pressure at the point where the crankpin is
moving closest to parallel with the piston - in otherwords down, not out
or in.
 If ignition timing is retarded, (closer to Top
> Dead Center),
Retarded makes the spark closer to BOTTOM dead center.( I know, you mean
just a LITTLE retarded, but still before TDC - but you have to be a
little clearer)
 the maximum flame front will occur too late, and a loss of