chevy engines

Terry thartman at flash.net
Fri Nov 6 00:34:05 GMT 1998

ECMnut at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 11/5/98 5:24:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> spectric at globalnet.co.uk writes:
>

> >  I have a 1976 Pontiac Firebird with a 350 CI engine, is this engine GM
> >  or Chevy?
>
> The simplest way I can think of is:
>   Spark plugs ABOVE exhaust manifold = Pontiac V8
>   Spark plugs BELOW exhaust manifold = Chevy V8
> assuming it is one of those two..
> HTH
> Mike V

Yes and on the Pontiacs the exhausts ports are clearly identifiable
runners on the head and point almost straight down (fairly downward
anyway).   The Chevy exhaust ports come outward towards the side
of the head.....

The Pontiac displacements from '76 are 350,400, &455.
The popular smallblock Chevy displacements could include
the 305,307,350, & 400.

The Pontiac waterpump will also have a feed to it from the intake
manifold crossover (front of intake manifold) where the chevy
does not....

hope this helps,

T.