Oxy sensor location ?

Steve Lamb lambs at HOTBLK.dsto.defence.gov.au
Fri Nov 6 03:24:14 GMT 1998

I'm fitting a (heated) oxy sensor to my car which has an extractor exhaust
system.  The engine is a Nissan L6 and the extractors are of the 6 into 2
into 1 type.  There is a flange attachment to the remainder of the exhaust
system down near the front of the gearbox.     I've noticed that production
cars with cast iron manifolds have the oxy sensor quite close to the head.
I would much rather put mine in the exhaust system just after flange, since
then I don't have to go drilling holes in the extractors - which are
coated.   Will the sensor still work properly if I do this ??, or should I
try to put it as close to the head as possible ??

TIA

Steve Lamb
Department of Defence, DSTO
Aeronautical and Maritime Research Laboratory
506 Lorimer Street
Fishermans Bend  VIC 3207 Australia

Tel: +61 3 9626 7525
Fax: +61 3 9626 7089