Questions about Big Block Chevy Tall Deck Engines

Gwyn Reedy mgr at mgrcorp.com
Sat Nov 7 03:28:24 GMT 1998

 Don't know just where to go for help with this kind of
 information. Any answers or leads gratefully appreciated.

 1. What was the bore and stroke of the 366 engine?

 2. What is the purpose of the tall deck engines used in trucks?
 Bore and stroke are the same as passenger engines (standard deck
 height)so is it for better water circulation?

 3. Apparently they have the same bore and stroke as standard deck
 height engines, so can standard cranks and rods be used? Are the
 heads the same?

 4. Known differences: pushrods are longer, intake manifolds and
 water pumps are different to allow for better cooling.

 Hope there is some engine historian out there who can help me out
 on this. I'm trying to put together a 1970 C-50 truck with a 427
 engine. The block and crank may be bad on this one (I haven't
 taken it apart yet) but I know where to get several 366 engines.
 Want to figure out if I can put a longer stroke crank in a 366
 (and what displacement will it give) or if I can slip a 454 block
 under the 427 truck heads and manifold.