GM Engine Sizes (was Chevy engines)

Tom Sharpe twsharpe at mtco.com
Sat Nov 7 04:57:30 GMT 1998

Gwyn Reedy wrote:

> All this talk about GM engines leads me to postulate a theory about GM
> engine size and ask if anyone really knows...
>
> Comments?
>
> Gwyn Reedy
> Brandon, FL

421,425, 426, 427, 428 engines from Ford, GM and Chrysler were all <= 7 Liters,
the FIA limit, same as the 5 liter (302) limit. The 428 Ford is actually at 426,
but that name was already taken. The marketing name often did not match the
actual displacement, ie 396 and 402s called 396 and 400.

PS there's a 454 in every garbage truck in the country!  Regards  Tom