GM Engine Sizes (was Chevy engines)

David A. Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Sat Nov 7 21:10:03 GMT 1998

At 10:59 AM 11/7/98 -0800, you wrote:

>> Not a lot of people realize that the (later) GMC 307 CID V-6 truck motor
>> was a sawed off 409.
>
>The GMC truck V-6, V-8 and V-12 gas and diesel engines were all 60 degree
>blocks and thus shared nothing from the 348-409 engines.

In the early 60's, GMC used both a 305 and 350 CI 90 deg. V6 that shared a
block with the 305 and 350 V6 diesel counterparts. (Heads, crank, rods,
pistons, cam and intake were different, as well as having an injection pump
instead of distributor...).  This was a very torquey engine... My dad had
the 305 in his 63 GMC pickup... you could dump the clutch at idle in 4th
gear and it wouldn't kill the motor... it would chirp the tires and start
moving!
Later,
Dave

           David Cooley N5XMT           Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
       I am Pentium of Borg...division is futile...you will be approximated.