elementary manifold vacuum question

am018 am018 at post.almac.co.uk
Mon Nov 9 12:11:41 GMT 1998

Twin carbs ? this is a well known problem;  try drilling both manifold carb
flanges  join them togther using a tee fitting and small bore pipe then add a
bit more restriction  you might also need to add a small volume can  of the type
fitted to the vac adavance pipes on some cars. The idle speed should be about
900 to 950 rpm and mixture should be slightly rich.
Also note twin carb  A and B series engines  tend to idle on  2 cylinders
because of the port design  which plays havoc with the mixture distribution --
can't remember if it is the inner or outer pair  --- If you   do a plug lead
pull off test at idle youll see what  I mean.
After all that if you still get trouble  look for a  tight/bent/burnt valve. For
some strange reason B are also very prone to sticky mechanical advance
mecahanisms -- check the bob weights are free.

Andy Macfadyen