Ox sender actual function

Mark Wilcutts markw at vehicle.me.berkeley.edu
Mon Nov 9 19:12:25 GMT 1998

Only when oxygen ions diffuse through the ZrO2 ceramic substrate do you
get a voltage on the sensor, perhaps the testers were misinterpreting the
results...  The voltage you get from the sensor is related to exhaust
oxygen concentration by

V = kT/2e ln(P(O2)_a/P(O2)_e)

where k = Boltzmann const
T = temp (absolute)
e = electron charge
P(O2)_a = oxygen partial pressure in air (~.2 bar)
P(O2)_e = oxygen partial pressure in exhaust

I believe the accepted lightoff temperature for ZrO2 sensors is 350 deg. C
(~650 deg. F).