? on Mr Hall Effect

Roger Heflin rah at horizon.hit.net
Tue Nov 10 15:18:40 GMT 1998

I think the teeth improve the magnetic coupling between the powered
coil and the signal coil.   I would almost guess that the powered coil
was powered by something other than a DC signal.  Basically the power
coil to the signal coil is a transformer and putting the metal near it
changes how the transformer acts and that is what is detected.

I do not think a DVM would be able to detect the signal good enough.
There would be only one change when you moved it in closer, and that
would pass by the DVM way too fast to catch.

All of those devices work on transients that are probably too fast to
catch with a DVM.  If you have it, you may try feeding it into a sound
card and see what the wave really looks like.  Also if you where
spinning the disk past the sensor you would be able to detect the
level out the output signal (average level) changing, but would owuld
not be able to detect any of the waveforms themselves.  You might in
the case be able to put the DVM on HZ (if yours had this) and count
the number of teeth.

			Roger