Lucas magnetic sensor

Stowe, Ted-SEA StowT at PerkinsCoie.com
Wed Nov 11 17:38:47 GMT 1998

Hi, I need a bit of help this morning.

I have a Lucas distributor with what I thought was a hall effect sensor, but
it appears that it is a coil with a center tap, (3 leads).

I need to trigger a gm ignition module with this, so I imagine I need some
type of buffer for this. I have no idea if hall sensors were edge triggered
or not, or if this Lucas sensor is or not. I suppose I could just have a
simple pull-up to a stabilized voltage source of ? and generate a pulse. I
also have a Lucas optical sensor if that would make a difference, but I
don't think so. has anyone ever done this or does anyone have any good ideas
?

thanks, Ted Stowe

-----Original Message-----
From: Albert Grippo [mailto:grippo at jlab.org]
Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 1998 4:57 AM
To: diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu
Subject: Re: ? on Mr Hall Effect

  The Hall sensor I am using has 3 pins: VDD(+5 or +9 V), OUT,
  and GND. I connected a 5K pullup resistor between VDD and OUT,
  and a .1 uF decoupling cap beteween VDD and GND. To use it
  I glued a ceramic button magnet to a distributor, mounted
  the Hall sensor over the magnet, and put a slotted steel wheel
  in between the two.  When the solid part of the wheel is
  over the magnet, it shields the field from the sensor and
  you read VDD volts on the OUT pin.  When the wheel is
  turned so the slot exposes the magnet, you read 0 volts. It
  is not sensitive to motion, just to whether the magnetic field
  is exposed or shielded. I am using it to determine the no. 1
  cylinder. One last thing, the magnet south pole goes toward
  the sensor.

		  -Al Grippo