setting ignition curves without dyno

Robert Wilkinson rw at ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
Wed Nov 11 17:44:42 GMT 1998

I spent quite a bit of time setting my ignition advance (with DFI) to
highest advance without setting off knock sensor.  I did this for all rpm
at WOT.
At the track, the car had no power down low, so I retarded the timing in
low rpms.  The car ran pretty strong down low after that.

This is telling me that my car doesn't want max advance (without setting
off knck sensor) at lower rpms.
Can anybody recommend a good method for finding the advance needed for max
power at lower rpms.... without a dyno??

Robert Wilkinson