Lucas magnetic sensor

Mike Morrin mikem at southern.co.nz
Wed Nov 11 20:16:47 GMT 1998

At 09:39 am 11/11/98 -0800, Stowe, Ted-SEA wrote:
>Hi, I need a bit of help this morning.
>
>I have a Lucas distributor with what I thought was a hall effect sensor, but
>it appears that it is a coil with a center tap, (3 leads).

What is the distributor from?  If it from a Lucas OPUS (Jaguar V12 1971-80,
or MGB V8 or a few others) then the trigger is a high frequency balanced
transformer.

>I need to trigger a gm ignition module with this, so I imagine I need some
>type of buffer for this.

If it is OPUS, you have very little chance of making it work with any other
form of ignition system.

What does the trigger wheel look like?

>also have a Lucas optical sensor

What cars were these fitted to?