TRACTION CONTROL

am018 am018 at post.almac.co.uk
Thu Nov 12 12:47:00 GMT 1998

I (think) have seen mapped ignition systems with traction control inputs
advertised here in the UK  but can't remember the names, if they are
available Demon Tweeks the race part mail order supplier will sell them.

Traction control was banned in F1 because it increased lap times --- it also
made average drivrs look good.
I am not crazy about it myself but can I can see the need  -- I remember
driving some of the early front wheel drive cars before  tyre companies and
suspension enginers got it together for front wheel drive.  At that time
here  in Europe 1800 cc was considered the maxiumum for front wheel drive --
when Renault brought out the 30 (2.5 litre V6) which wasn't even moderately
powerful  but on the hard narrow french tyres of the day  a sudden
application of the throttle would spin the front tyres  in 4th gear.

My personal taste in traction control is  rear engine, rear wheel drive and
slick tyres !

What I don't like is the new emergency braking system Mercedes have -- once
it starts all control is taken away from the driver, the cars halts even if
the drivers foot is removed from the pedal. In the UK we have had cases of
it cutting in in normal driving !

Andy Macf