EFI Please????

DC Smith dcsmith at gnttype.org
Thu Nov 12 12:32:12 GMT 1998

H Villemure wrote:

> Jerry,
>
> I am a newcomer to diy_efi (a few weeks) and also to programming controllers.
> I am however an amateur mechanic and have over time become more knowledgeable
> of my favorite makes, mostly Asian.

 Nothing wrong with playing with the jap stuff. I've seen several things
that apply to any EFI car in going through the web pages and going to
some of the links, and ahve learned a lot myself, here.

> I have never got an answer to my very few questions, except from Danny
> Colionthon who happens to also be a member of Toyota-mods lists.

 Usually when you don't get *any* replies, it means no one knows
anything on whatever it was you asked. I just skip over stuff I either
have no knowledge of *or* interest in. If I replied on injecting a car I
have on direct experience in, I would surely be sticking my foot in my
mout, except on general theory.

 I have a low 12 second V-6 84 Buick Regal, myself. :^)

> I also have come to believe by reading the posts from diy_efi that as you say,
> it is only a "serious-modder" GM/Delco/Chrysler list. I am loosing interest
> fast and only an occasional post on Asian controllers keeps me in. Oh well.

 Pretty much serious stuff. It isn't going to come all at once, and have
you tweaking chips or figuring out ROM binaries. I just click through
the "fluff" and glean for the usable info. I don't know how far a
"seroius modder" is going to get into this, but I have a AOSEE degree in
electronics,along with 2 years of college auto mechanics, and a lot of
this stuff is quite a challenge, to say the least. I dbout a few weeks
is gonna get it.

> It surprises me a little of course, because the electronics of a car *govern*
> and *monitor* the actual processes but they don't generate them; internal
> combustion engines thrive on proper understanding and management of
> thermodynamics, and materials and design thereof. I have seen enough miserable
> intake and exhaust manifolds on american cars to guess that one should worry
> first about the more fundamental things. It is useless to try and find the
> perfect ignition timing for a Chrysler LeBaron GTS when you know that there is
> over 12% difference in flow from one intake runner to the next.

 Good point! Your motor NEEDS to be right, too! I build my own. I would
bet most seroius modders, do the same.. hence the big block discussions.

> Toyota engines on the other hand can take 225% of the stock power on bone
> stock internals, easily. I do not know many makes that can claim the same.

 I am putting over twice the rated HP through my Buick V-6. Others are
doing it X 3. My car is one of the slow ones. <grin>

> Now, *that* is worth getting involved, in piggyback controllers or even EFI
> computer replacement, because it means that you can have a bolt-on turbo
> setup, etc., etc.
>
> Lastly, some variety always helps, as sharing "cross-platforms" can lead one
> to use another make's better designs for their setups. Saab, Volvo and Peugeot
> have a few inexpensive parts that can do better than stock, etc., etc.

 The discussion on the honda wide band O2 sensor wasn't any help?? Are
we on the same list? :^)

 Give it a chance, a lot of what you want has probably been discussed in
the past. Try searching the archives. Read everything, since a lot of
posts don't really have the right subject line at times.

 Take care.

Dan Smith                                  GSCA# 1459
St.Charles,Missouri
mailto:dcsmith at gnttype.org
http://www.tetranet.net/users/morepoweral