setting ignition curves without dyno

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Thu Nov 12 23:36:09 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Conlon <synchris at ricochet.net>
To: diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu <diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Thursday, November 12, 1998 6:12 PM
Subject: Re: setting ignition curves without dyno

When talking about a loss converter, medium or more HP, light car, gears,
etc, this stuff happens so fast trying to read anything is about pointless.
Unless ya got a real data logging setup.

On the subject of dynos, and timing, I, used to do this full time, and the
dyno
steady state stuff was always too advanced.  Also that was almost 30 years
ago.  While todays stuff is much better, I'd still verify it was right by
testing
any of it when the engine was actually installed.

I have never seen anything better for figuring out 60' times then actually
doing 60' runs..
Bruce

>How about watching EGT closely?

EGT peaks at Stoic.  EGT show you how close you are to the thermal limits of
you engine.  You can have a 1550dF EGT,
and be three states east of being right.

 Shouldn't the optimum timing result
>in the most work being delivered to the crank, the most heat energy
>being converted to mechanical work, and thus the lowest EGT? I would
>expect at least a *little* dip in EGTs near the optimum timing,
>though I'm not betting you could measure it through the noise with
>an EGT gauge. Also you'd have to be at steady state, including
>thermally, etc, or else be pretty durn clever.
>
>Anyway my understanding was that too much advance raised EGTs.

Can, and until a point

Also
>too much retard seems to cause glowing exhaust/turbo manifolds on
>some motors I've heard about.

Add a little extra fuel, and cherry red/white is possible.
Bruce