Torque Converter Lock-Ups

martin at mgass.demon.co.uk martin at mgass.demon.co.uk
Fri Nov 13 07:38:56 GMT 1998

I would like to raise the subject Auto Transmission Torque Converter (TC)
Lock-Ups and Electronic Control..

Does anybody know if there are any TCs with Lock-Up operating under
electronic control in tune with the auto-box.

Most TCs seem to me to Lock-Up purely mechanically determined by
speed and load.  (are these the only parameters and are they the
correct ones ?).

Are mechanical based Lock-Ups adjustable in any way...or must the
whole TC be replaced ?   Similarly if there are any under elctronic
control are they alterable....what electronic control device is used ?

I believe that TC lock-Up is a relatively recent thing and was
not present in the Borg-Warner Type 35 & 65 implementations of the
late 60s and 70s.  I first remember it being mentioned in Europe in
some small Ford Autos of the early 1980s...but has now found its way
into most Auto setups.

Martin

martin at mgass.demon.co.uk