Delco 16220371 ECU (Mercruiser 502 magnum MPI)

EFISYSTEMS at aol.com EFISYSTEMS at aol.com
Fri Nov 13 07:40:27 GMT 1998

In a message dated 11/12/98 2:57:24 PM Pacific Standard Time,
mwichstr at online.no writes:

<< Subj:	 Delco 16220371 ECU (Mercruiser 502 magnum MPI)
 Date:	11/12/98 2:57:24 PM Pacific Standard Time
 From:	mwichstr at online.no (Espen Hilde)
 Sender:	owner-diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu
 Reply-to:	diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu
 To:	diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu

 A friend of mine is prepairing for a dyno run in a superflow bench.
 The engine is a Mercruiser Magnum 502 MPI  1996model.The engine is equipped
 with a procharger kit.
 Thats a sentrifugal compressor  with a water to air intercooler, the only
 change to fuel/ingition is a rising rate
 fuel pressure regulator.The compressor is giving a modest 5 psi boost.The
 boost starts  from 3000rpm.
 We are going to strap the engine to the dyno with headers and have then
 access to exhaust temp for
 each  cyl.   We can borrow a scan tool from mercruiser  (price 1000 usd.) ,
 but we want a scan tool that can be used for cars and other engines,maybe
 for a better price.Diacom?
 It would be nice to have access to the ecu , so we can alter the maps for
 ignition and fuel under boost.
 Is it anyone who have info about this DELCO ECU? There are several numbers
 attached to the ecu box:
      16220371
      Modell                860371ka00002699                    White tag
 :9456
 The box is just 13,5cm  times  10cm
 One multipoint connector on each side  , 32 pins each
 One connector in the wier harness to connect to the scantool : 10 pins and
 6 is used.
 The efi system is MPI with MAP  and knock sensor. No ego .   Map sensor is
 :039-5160
 injectors:5467(difficult to see)  Ignition system is mercruiser HEI  with a
 distributor.
 It would be nice if this ecu was the same as a much used car ecu.
 We need advice on what equipment we need to be able to alter this ecu.
 Type of prom?
 E-prom burner?
 Eraser?
 Software?
 scantool?
 realtime modulator?
 Any input /ideas is appreciated
 Thanks
 Espen Hilde

 Hi Espen,
      The Mercury Marine computer has a 512 byte EEprom(not 512k)...what I
haven't been able to figure out is whether this is a compressed format or if
512 bytes is all they need since it is open loop and has very little control
over the engine....the only cool feature I have seen on it is if it sees
enough knock not only does it remove timing it also enriches the fuel to cool
the chamber(about 1 air fuel ratio). As for the scanner...I have a couple of
new ones for $400.(US) with the 99 updates.  Rhinda(Diacom) makes the scanner
for Mercury and they do offer a laptop version as well but can't remember what
I paid for it.  From what I have seen the centrifugal setup you were talking
about doesn't handle the fuel enrichment very well and hurts idle quality and
part throttle cruising because of correcting the mixture by increasing the
fuel pressure at all times then boost compensating above that.....let me know
what you see,,,I am interested......AZ Speed & Marine does have the capacity
to alter the calibration in the ECU......I haven't spent much time looking at
the 512 byte file but think I figured out the rev limit and how to adjust how
much fuel enrichment when the knock circuit is hit hard...but thats about
it.....That processor does not do double bar fuel or timing,,,,but the new 99
controller does,,,,bad thing is the 99 has a revolving checksum location so
has been really tough to even get started with.....as far as I know  unless
you're GM or have some "backdoor" avenue to get the software, there isn't any
to be had,,,,,but again if you find some I am interested......btw the checksum
for your 512 is the 9496 on the outside of your ECU on that white tag...Anyway
hope that helps.
-Carl Summers