Fuel pressure / Flow rate formula

Barry E. King beking at home.com
Fri Nov 13 15:53:27 GMT 1998

fuel required per cylinder (lbs/hr) = (HP x BSFC) / (# injectors x IDC)

Assuming a normally aspirated engine, you'll expect to see roughly 0.5 lbs
of fuel per hour.  Use 0.6 for a forced induction application.

Target 80% IDC (injector duty cycle) so that the selected injector is not
running maxed out.

fuel/cyl = (400 HP x 0.5 lbs/hr/HP) / (8 cyl * 0.80)
         = 200 lbs/hr / 6.4 cyl
         = 31.25 lbs/hr/cyl

So, each injector needs to support a flow rate of at least 31.25 lbs/hr.
You can convert lbs/hr to cc/min by multiplying by a factor of 10.5  The
above example yields 328 cc/min.  Note that the above approach builds in a
safety margin.   It is generally considered not cool to run injectors much
past 80% duty cycle for extended periods of time.

I just checked:  RC's website also has this same formula on their site.

There are other more accurate ways to determine fuel requirements but this
formula seems to be very close.

Regards,

Barry