TRACTION CONTROL

Raymond C Drouillard cosmic.ray at juno.com
Sat Nov 14 02:58:01 GMT 1998

You are correct.  The classic Borg-Warner Quadratrack (TM) transfer case
used a preloaded clutch similar to what is used in positraction
differentials.

The "Quadratrack" name is copyrighted by Jeep and is used for any
full-time 4WD system that has no 2WD mode.  If there is a 2WD mode along
with the full time (able to be used on dry pavement) 4WD mode, Jeep calls
it "Select Track.  I have a Select-Track system that uses an NP229
transfer case.

In the past several years, Jeep has used a few Quadratrack cases,
including the NP219, which is, I believe, viscous coupled.

Their newest innovation is a gearoter system that senses a speed
difference between the driveshafts (or axles) and hydraulically actuates
a clutch.  They call this new invention "Quadratrack II"

By the way, Borg-Warner made the origional Quadratrack transfer case, but
not the newer ones.

Ray Drouillard
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
(Viscous coupled Select-Track, Holley Pro-Jection EFI)