Timing...

Barry E. King beking at home.com
Sun Nov 15 01:57:51 GMT 1998

> >Yeah but it would make more sense if the front cylinders were ADVANCED.
> >Sure they aren't?
> >

> Yep... Double checked again and the rears are advanced... The one closest
> to the water pump is advanced less than the other 2.

Sanity check  ;)

> >Seems to me the front bank will run cooler than the rear.  The rear will
> >allow more advance before knocking then.  Right?
> >

> Actually, the other way around... The front will allow more advance before
> knocking because they are cooler.  (Theoretically...)  Maybe the fronts
> being slightly retarded run a bit hotter so they force them to
> run at equal
> temps? (rears hotter due to lack of airflow, fronts hotter due to 2-3
> degrees of retard).

(insert Homer Simpson sound here)

Of course, you are right.  I realized that several minutes after my last
post.

> >I have a Mitsubishi 6G72 turbocharged engine (V6, 3.0l), also
> transversely
> >mounted.  I'd love to get into the ECU but supposedly it is not
> easy without
> >a Techtom unit due to a custom 68 PLCC.  In any case, the rear bank
> >definitely runs hotter than the front.  EGTs even vary which I suspect is
> >related in part to different timing but don't know for sure.
> >

> Be nice if there was a way to read the prom inexpensively via a
> service port...

Yeah.  Wouldn't it though.

I can't even use ODBII scan tools or any scan tool that I am aware of other
than maybe the overpriced factory unit.  This particular year (1994) has a
quasi-ODBII implementation but no Mitsubishi service port as in previous
years.  I say "quasi" because there is an ISO port (ALL the pins are
present?!?) and the ECU pinout I have acquired or deduced is very
ODBII-like.  The kicker is that none of the three ODBII scanner tool
producers have a tool that works with this particular year since it isn't
strictly speaking ODBII compliant.

I was going to try and hack the protocol myself but have since decided that
may be not only difficult but fruitless since all of the information may not
be readily available.  I have decided to concoct a data logger instead.

Barry