Lucas magnetic sensor

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Sun Nov 15 21:54:33 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Stowe, Ted-SEA <StowT at PerkinsCoie.com>
To: diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu <diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Sunday, November 15, 1998 4:27 PM
Subject: RE: Lucas magnetic sensor

>Bruce, I checked it with a DVM, it is a coil, with a tap, I get about 22
>ohms in either direction. So when the magnet passes by it, I would >guess
that the impedance changes, I am trying to find something >simple to make
this put out .5 ?

That low of resistance is beyond anything I've done, that question is
for one of the EE here.

> or whatever the gm hall effect sensor did. I also have an
>Allison optical pickup for that distributor. that is pretty simple, I
>could probably just have a transistor driver for the GM ignition >module,
it would appear that the optical guy, (which has a slotted >wheel for the
rotating part), would switch on +12, that would >probably be bad for the
module. or I suppose a simple resistor >network would drop that down.

>I would rather have the magnetic sensor rather the optical guy, but I
>won't argue with getting it running.

If it was me, I'd use the Allison Optical.  Cause they last, and rarely
go bad.  I'd reverse engineer the module to see what the + is to the
"head", ground, and see what the return signal is.  Then all you
have to do is figure out the power supply, and how to light a LED.
Once you can light a LED (using like a 1K resistor) you have your
dissy signal.

Just for instance if it runs on 5v then a 7805 for a power supply.
HTH Bruce