trac. contr.

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Sun Nov 15 23:03:10 GMT 1998

Tried this twice, and got left blank by server (text vasectomy
performed??). Third time the charm??

buy Milemarker's part-time conversion kit in the hopes of
>improving their gas mileage, or so that they can use ATF in it.

Once was in charge of a bunch of wear testing on that type of Chain
(Hy-Vo). The test machine was set up to run Toro/Eldo chains, but no big
deal.  FWIW, ATF gave 100% better chain wear than any type of conventional
gear oil. Synthetic gear oils (then pretty new stuff) did even worse. Note
that the Torp/Eldo used a 3/8" pitch chain, 2" wide between the converter
and tranny--an excellent application, which rarely wore out. Transfer cases
apply the chain between the tranny and the axle, also after the low range
gear, still use 3/8" pitch, sometimes 1/2" pitch chain, varying (I think)
from 1-1/2" to 2-1/2" wide, depending on application, and about the same
size sprockets. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that
these chains are loaded a lot more heavily, and do wear out, pretty
regularly.

>You're right about it being sensitive to the oil.

Also did a bunch of noise testing on that very case at the same place! Had
plenty of occasion to learn ALL about that!!

YOu can buy the
>genuine Quadratrack oil, get some additive, or dig up a recepie (I have
>seen one).  The stuff isn't exactly unobtainium, but it is pricey.  When
>taken with all of the other routine costs of operating such a vehicle
>(not the least of which is gasoline), I consider it to be a small issue.
>
>My father used to own a Jeep Cherokee (the old full-sized version), and
>we never had any trouble with it.  Yes, we had to change the t-case oil
>once.  It cost about as much as a tank or two of gas.

Yes, one of the better full time units built, but one FAR better that no
one knows about was used in the Jensen Interceptor cars:
It used THREE Hy-Vo chains, each 1" wide, with sprockets which were
staggered by 1/3 of a tooth from each other, so that chain loadeing and
noise was spread out and quieted. It did not use a limited slip unit. It
had two one way (sprag type) clutches, and two slip limiting gear sets.
These were set up so that if the rear wheels over-ran the fronts by more
than about 5%, one of the clutches said "no more", very emphatically, and
put more torque to the front wheels through one of the gear trains. (In a
totally positive, but also extremely smooth manner. Likewise to the front
wheels, but not until they reached 12 or 15% slip relative to the rears.

Certainly not a cheap unit, but absolutely nothing better has ever been
done before or since, at least for full time and with chain involved. The
Jensen unit was oriented toward hi-po driving, not 4x4 or truckuse, though.
No low range. But it WAS stout--it went behind B and RB Mopars with a 727
in a two ton vehicle, and lasted indefinitely.

For 4x4 use I have a design on paper, based on an NP201 case (ALL GEAR),
that is about 160% stouter than an NP205, about the weight of an NP203, and
would give a choice of rear wheel drive, high range full time (fully
differentiated) 4x4, high range locked 4x4, and low range locked 4x4, plus
neutral positions suitable for either engine/tranny warm-up or flat towing
with no lube deficiencies. This design also has the capability of having an
optional, compound low range (or gear splitter) added to it quite easily.
No slip limiting in the full time range, but that would not be TOO tricky
an item to add.

Feel free to put anyone with serious interest in this design in direct
touch. I would LOVE the chance to develop the design, work with anyone
prototyping it, and with getting it into limited production. Have a couple
of four vehicles which would welcome such a unit with open cross-members!!

Regards, Greg

(Answer to Ray Droillard)