trac. contr.

Tom Sharpe twsharpe at mtco.com
Mon Nov 16 14:41:35 GMT 1998

Greg Hermann wrote:

> Yes, one of the better full time units built, but one FAR better that no
> one knows about was used in the Jensen Interceptor cars:
> It used THREE Hy-Vo chains, each 1" wide, with sprockets which were
> staggered by 1/3 of a tooth from each other, so that chain loadeing and
> noise was spread out and quieted. It did not use a limited slip unit. It
> had two one way (sprag type) clutches, and two slip limiting gear sets.

Greg,

I had a Warren "Dual-Drive" rear posi in a CJ (D44) with a 482 and Powerglide
w/ brake. It had two, both way roller clutches in it, (looked like an automatic
front hub, except bigger). It was the smoothest posi I ever saw. Completely
unlocked under normal conditions and completely locked under power without and
indication of what happened.

At Gravelrama one year, I had just finished cleaning the rear brakes and had
one rear wheel off the ground when some "Inspectors" came around. You could
grab the back tire, shake it, then rotate it forward... then backward... while
in park.    I said "It must have a broken axle" then set it down and drove into
the staging lanes.  You should have seen the look on their faces.

I'll pay a finder's fee to locate another.....   Regards  Tom