EFI Please????

Raymond C Drouillard cosmic.ray at juno.com
Tue Nov 17 04:32:52 GMT 1998

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998 15:34:25 +0000 H Villemure
<memvive at globetrotter.qc.ca> writes:
>I agree with the statements below- a General Purpose light truck is
indeed
>dead reliable... it is not a passenger car, though.

You're right - A Jeep is not a passenger car (or truck) with 4WD added
on.  It is designed from the ground up to be able to handle the rigors
and challenges of off-road travel.  It's the creature comforts that are
the add-ons.  The added creature comforts allow Jeep to take a much
bigger market share than otherwise.

The engineers did a good job adding the creature comforts.  My Grand
Wagoneer is the vehicle of choice for long trips because of the comfort.
It is the most comfortable vehicle I have ever owned.  That doesn't
necessarily mean that it will stack up against a Cadallac, but it does
better in the comfort thing that Caddy does in the off-road thing.

Some Jeep afficionados regret the luxury of the newer Jeeps.  I guess
that they would rather bounce around in a CJ than drive a TJ.  A TJ (the
new '97 and up Wrangler) is more comfortable than a CJ, but it is also
faster, handles better, and is better off the road.  The only advantage
of a CJ is that you don't feel as bad if you bang it up or drown it.

I don't mind a little bickering :)

I drive my Grand Wag every day, take it on long trips, and drive it in
the forest trails and the dunes on the weekends.  How's that for
versitility?  What can a passenger car do that the Jeep can't?  The only
thing I can think of is handling.  The Jeep handles more like a Cadallac
than a Corvette.  It handles better than most trucks I have driven.  On
the other hand, TJ will handle better than a lot of so-called sports
cars.

Ray Drouillard
Jeep Grand Wagoneer with Electronic Fuel Injection (not stock)

>(just couldn't miss some more bickering hehe)
>
>No kidding, I agree that things like a Jeep, a Suburban and a F-150 are
>indestructible, but the catch is that they are not intended at being
passenger
>cars first, so...
>
>About EFI contents, has anyone ever tried to map the signals from Toyota
>ECU's?? Especially the fuel/ignition management systems?
>
>Thank you,
>
>jb24 at chrysler.com wrote:
>>
>> We engineers who build Jeeps have a long list of things that a Jeep
must
>> do, at the top is cross the Rubicon Trail outside of Lake Tahoe under
it's
>> own power.  This is the 10 that all off-road trails are measured
against.
>> It is good to hear every once in a while that our efforts are
appreciated.

>> cosmic.ray at juno.com (Raymond C Drouillard) on 11/13/98 02:59:00 AM
>>
>> Please respond to diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu
>>

>>  To:      diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu
>>
>>  cc:      diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu
>>

>>  Subject: Re: EFI Please????
>>

>> On Thu, 12 Nov 1998 18:25:45 +0000 H Villemure
>> <memvive at globetrotter.qc.ca> writes:
>> >If you had taken the time to read my reply correctly- I also
mentioned
>> >tank-like reliability (or was it in another post), which to the best
of
>> my
>> >knowledge still eludes most american cars.
>>
>> I have found the Jeeps that I have owned have tank-like reliability.
My