Engine building mailing list?

Joe Boucher BoucherJC at lmtas.lmco.com
Fri Nov 20 17:22:18 GMT 1998

You would think the businesses that sell advanced engine parts would know what they
are doing.  I have a friend who works for Bell Helicopter.  They were contacted by an
engine equipment company (may have been Rehr-Morrison) who was having problems with
their piston rods.  They were making them out of 4130.  4130 can't be heat treated
properly in thicknesses over 1 inch.  The Bell employees informed them of that and
suggested a better choice in that family of steels was 4340.  The other guys said,
"Oh" and hung up.

So, they may not even know of any other choices.  The 4340 is selling as the best and
why try to market something else they have no experience with?

Joe Boucher
'70 RS/SS Camaro  '81 TBi Suburban