Intel 87C196kr (Trying to tune my 99 A4 Audi Turbo Thanks! Jim C.)

R Mehta rmehta01 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 20 19:54:13 GMT 1998

I've new to this group so please bear with me.. I've tuned a few of my
project cars in the past with Electromotive's Tec-II and did some DFI
work as well.. But I've sold those cars and I now am playing with a
1999 Audi A4 Turbo.. I found your group (and a bunch of Audi Tuners)
playing with the Motronic system.  Well through talking to some people
I find that I am dealing with a Intel 87C196kr so I went to the Intel
site and got all the info I could find about this family (Users
mannual ect ect.) Thus here is what I see ahead of me:

1) Digest the mannual. (I used to write device drivers for DOS/NT,
only doing C++ and Win32 now though)

2) Look for a dissasembler for this CPU. (anyone know a place do grab
one ??) I could code one, sine the users guide has a chart of all the
op codes but It would be better to find one.

3) De-Solder the prom and dump the code

4) Begin debugging the code line by line (ouch). (hehehe all the fun
is here!)

5) Since the car is 4WD a typical dyno is out the window. Thus I'll
have to use an O2 analyzer/ODB-II monitoring tool for timing (and
general datalogging)

6) whew.. ok.. Oh well I'll try to report my progress and ask you guys
somethings when I get stuck.. ehhe I also will perhaps go and buy
another *unmolested* ECU to protect my warranty..

Thanks for any info!