Intel 87C196kr (Trying to tune my 99 A4 Audi Turbo Thanks! Jim C.)

Orin Eman orin at wolfenet.com
Fri Nov 20 22:51:11 GMT 1998

> 2) Look for a dissasembler for this CPU. (anyone know a place do grab
> one ??) I could code one, sine the users guide has a chart of all the
> op codes but It would be better to find one.

IDA Pro now supports 8x196 (www.datarescue.com).  It will cost
$200 though... highly recommended if you can afford it.
Otherwise, search the archives on how to write your own.

> 3) De-Solder the prom and dump the code

44 pin surface mount.  Good luck getting it off and reading it...
adapter sockets are > $100.

> 4) Begin debugging the code line by line (ouch). (hehehe all the fun
> is here!)

Lots of late nights here...

> 5) Since the car is 4WD a typical dyno is out the window. Thus I'll
> have to use an O2 analyzer/ODB-II monitoring tool for timing (and
> general datalogging)

You could buy CarComp's software.  www.carcomp.com.

Considering the VW Passat has the same engine available and chips
are becoming available in the $200 range, do you really want
to do this?

Orin.