More BLM questions

tedscj at usa.net tedscj at usa.net
Tue Nov 24 06:34:07 GMT 1998

I just bought a scanner and have been checking out what's going on in my ECM
(delco 7730).
A few things are not as I expected.
1.) I only get 3 BLM cells: 0 - Idle, 1 - RPM > 1000 and TPS > 5%
(acceleration), and 2 - RPM > 1000 and TPS < 5% (deceleration).  I thought
there was supposed to be something like 16 cells.  Why would I only have
three?
2.)  The ECM doesn't seem to be "remembering" the BLM values.  Every time I
turn off the ignition and turn it back on again, the BLMs return to 128.  The
ECM retains trouble codes until you disconnect the battery, so why wouldn't it
retain the BLMs?  Needless to say, this is causing my car to run poorly every
morning until it warms up and starts reading the O2 sensor.
3.) My BLM (and integers) in cell 0 are about @155, and as soon as it hits
cell 1 they drop to @115.  I think this is causing a hesitation when I get on
the gas from a standstill (because, of course, the BLMs are causing the ECM to
pull a bunch of gas out as I accelerate into cell 1.)  How could there be such
a dramatic difference just on either side of 1000 rpm?
Thanks for any ideas,
Ted