Gm Programming

Roger Heflin rah at horizon.hit.net
Tue Nov 24 15:48:46 GMT 1998

On Tue, 24 Nov 1998, andy quaas wrote:

> Well i did a simple i-net search and came up with this little addition
> (in case this is garbage, the URL is
> http://gruffle.comlab.ox.ac.uk/archive/safety/lang-survey.html
>
> andy Q
>
> Land Vehicles:
> -------------
>
>  Bosch: Diesel engine controls in C. (Other systems generally in C?)
>  Delco: Engine controls and ABS in 68C series (Motorola) assembler.
>         C++ used for data acquisition in GM research center.
>         '93+ GM trucks vehicle controllers mostly in Modula-GM
>         (Modula-GM is a variant of Modula-2. A typical 32-bit
>          integrated vehicle controller may control the engine, the
>          transmission, the ABS system, the Heating/AC system, as
>          well as the associated integrated diagnostics and off-board
>          communications systems.)

Notice that is says a typical 32-bit integrated vehicle controller.
Have any of us actually seen a 32-bit vehicle computer yet on
anything?  I know my 93 Z is using a 8-bit processor.  Maybe what the
really mean is that GM started using modula-gm in 93+ to design new
vehciles, which would mean that they may just now be putting this sort
of thing into production.   I really cannot see them being able to use
a higher level language on less than the 32-bit processor.  The code
space and timing would just be too tight.

				Roger
				93 Z28