Gm Programming

Roger Heflin rah at horizon.hit.net
Tue Nov 24 15:53:38 GMT 1998

On Tue, 24 Nov 1998 Terry_Sare at dell.com wrote:

> Actually reverse coding from binary back to a high level language would not
> be effective. However, know that you know what the top level language is,
> you know the calling convention and layout of strings, data, etc. in memory.
> That gives you a big headstart when trying to decipher which is code, data,
> and stack.
>
> Getting it back to assembly from binary and commenting it is a lot of work.
> Trying to go back to high level language would not buy you much.
>
> my 1/2 cent worth.

My thoughts exactly.   I do simplify several assembly instructions
into one statement, but generally only so I can try to understand what
it is doing.   And it would have to be a really good decompiler to be
able to determine what made sense as one line or several.  An obvious
decompiler would produce what amounted to directly mapped code (one
or two assembly instructions to one or two high level lines) in the
high level language, but all statements would be very basic simple
statements, and really just has hard to read as assembly code.
Without the variable locations there is not really easy to do things,
and with the variable locations even assembly would be easy.

			Roger