747

Stowe, Ted-SEA StowT at PerkinsCoie.com
Tue Nov 24 21:57:28 GMT 1998

I have a good question about the '747 too.

turbo city sells a complete TBI system for small engines for about $1200.
they say that they use a ECU from a GM truck. I asked them if it was a '747
and they said yes, I asked him how they sell it for 4, 6 & 8 cyl
applications, do they edit the prom for each ? and I was told that they
don't , that the '747 works on percentages. I was also told that their
system does not need a VSS signal.

they sell a complete system with a wiring harness, fuel pump etc.
http://www.turbocity.com/Index.html

that info on the '747 seems contrary to what I've read here. does that sound
like
a stock '747 ??

thanks, Ted Stowe

-----Original Message-----
From: rauscher at icst.com [mailto:rauscher at icst.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 24, 1998 12:50 PM
To: DIY_EFI at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu
Subject: 747 Idle Learn, GM OEM

     I have a good question regarding the 747 ECM. Does
     this system need to go through an idle learn?

     I ask as I know that there are other GM ECM's that
     do go through an idle learn. While in this 'learn'
     time, the idle is about worthless. The engine will
     stall, sputter, rev-up, rev-down, heck, I almost
     hit the car in front of me during one 'rev-up'.

     If the 747 has an idle learn time, it may help to
     explain why so much work needs to be done to get
     some vehicles to idle properly.

     I now know the manual procedure for the idle learn,
     it takes ~20-30 minutes at idle. Or, like I did,
     a full weeks worth of driving... This is on a '92
     MPFI 3.1L Camaro. (A 1227737 ECM??).

     Thanks,

     BobR.