Ox sender actual function

Orin Eman orin at wolfenet.com
Wed Nov 25 07:31:17 GMT 1998

> Just in case ANYONE is still interested in this subject...

> I found an interesting paper that came out the following year by some Ford
> people. It is SAE #930352 "Static Characteristics of ZrO2 Exhaust Gas
> Oxygen Sensors". It sort of rebuts a few of the claims of the EPA paper
> and presents a ton more data and references. If there's any interest, I
> can scan and post a few pages.

Yes, please do.

The first paper sets my BS detector off... as in the writers were
completely clueless or they had some political agenda...

For example,

<<As Figure 1 indicates, there appeared to be a correlation between
high sensor voltages and rich exhaust mixtures under normal conditions
with no ignition misfires. Sensor voltages were always close to the 800 mv
upper levels even when the A/F ratios were slightly less than the
stoichiometric value and exhaust mixtures were slightly rich
(lambda less than 0.995).>>

No surprise here.

<<However, very rich A/F ratios did not result in hIgh port sensor
voltages when there was no ignition.>>

No surprise here either.  No ignition means 20% oxygen, same as
on the other side of the sensor - so no voltage produced.
The sensor really measures 'lack of oxygen' in the exhaust.

<<These results indIcated that some physical property of the unburned
air/fuel mlxtures, such as the relatively high  concentrations of
hydrocarbons. or the absence of other types of reducing agents,
such as hydrogen and carbon monoxide, inhibited the voltage generating
capabilities of the sensors.  >>

Huh???  No mention of the simple fact that with no ignition, there
is lots of _oxygen_ there...  Why no mention?  Why are they avoiding
discussing what is generally thought to cause the low sensor voltage?

Orin.